I recently engaged in a rather cumbersome conversation in which an equally cumbersome individual entreated me to convince him of the validity of the feminist movement “when all it seems so angry and rather pointless in the long run”.
The urge to propel my fist in a direction of proximity to his rather smug countenance of denseness was nearly overpowering but being a person of reason and control , I didn’t. Instead I inhaled a breath of fresh air and exhaled . I then slowly proceeded to regale him with the woes of those in possession of “uterus’.
Why Feminism Lily ?
- Feminism because rape whistles exist.
- Feminism because when a girl needs to make use of the toilet in a club she has to have her friends accompany her.
- Feminism because a girl’s imaginary boyfriend has more authority in dissuading relentless pursuers than she does.
- Feminism because when a girl goes to university , she’s only doing it to find a husband.
- Feminism because wearing make up will make you look like a prostitute and chase away your future husband.
- Feminism because not wearing make up will make you look sickly and chase away your future husband.
- Feminism because girls would look much prettier if only they smiled.
- Feminism because when a girl tries something new with her hair, it’s obviously for a guy.
- Feminism because girls wears items of clothing that are flattering to her figure, it’s obviously to attract the attention of a guy.
- Feminism because girls have to endure virginity testing.
- Feminism because girls cannot gain sexual experience without having labels such as slut/ whore attached to them.
- Feminism because boys are encouraged to gain as much sexual experience as they can before settling down.
- Feminism because my dad has never been catcalled whilst jogging around the neighbourhood.
- Feminism because the very same fuck-boys who glorify the globules of adipose tissue on Candice Swanepoel’s chest would have it illegal for a mother to nourish her child in public.
Damn the patriarchy ! And yes ! I am angry. The very nature of these injustices demands anger but there’s nothing remotely “pointless” about the liberation of females or giving females the opportunity to claim equal status in a society to which they rightfully belong.
Aforementioned cumbersome individual obviously picked the wrong time to have this conversation with me. Exams commence in three weeks and I have yet to make headway on mountains of revision.
Lily is Out ❤